‘Big chunk’ of £70m budget now ‘gone’ at St. James’ Park

Newcastle United only have a limited budget left to sign a wide forward before Thursday’s transfer deadline, according to journalist Dean Jones.

What’s the latest news at Newcastle?

Newcastle secured the services of Real Sociedad centre-forward Alexander Isak last week in a club-record deal.

The Magpies shelled out £63m for the 22-year-old, who netted 17 times in La Liga during the 2020/21 season but could only manage six top-flight goals last term.

But it’s no secret that Eddie Howe’s side have been keen to bring in players for supporting attacking positions too this summer.

Newcastle have seen two bids rejected for Leeds United’s Jack Harrison, while they also failed in their pursuit of Leicester City attacking midfielder James Maddison and back in July also missed out on Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby.

And Jones believes that Newcastle are still in the market for a wide forward, but has suggested their budget to bring one in will now be minimal after spending big on Isak.

What has Dean Jones said about Newcastle’s transfer plans?

Speaking to GiveMeSport, Jones claimed that Newcastle’s budget for improving their attack this summer was set at £70m, suggesting they now have just £7m to spend on a wide man.

He said: “With Isak we saw a big chunk taken out of the funds. I was told that they’d have about £70m for the two forward positions, so you can see that now most of that is gone.”

Who could Newcastle now sign with £7m?

Someone like Harrison now appears to be out of the question for Newcastle, with Leeds already rejecting a £20m bid for the 25-year-old.

And while Sky Sports’ Dharmesh Sheth has suggested they could still sign Watford’s Joao Pedro, the Isak deal does put significant question marks over it. After all, Newcastle had already tabled a £25m offer (plus add-ons) for the Hornets star.

One player who’s been largely forgotten about this summer is Wolves wide man Adama Traore, albeit in the last week or so his future has come back into focus amid interest from Tottenham.

His contract at Wolves will expire next summer, so perhaps Newcastle could be tempted into a cut-price swoop for the Spain international.

Failing that, considering few signings at just £7m would genuinely improve upon the options Howe already has at his disposal, it seems likely Newcastle will need to turn to potential loan deals.

With the summer deadline approaching, top clubs with bloated squads will be eager to get fringe players off the wage bill – that could give Newcastle the opportunity to land a player of decent pedigree on a year-long loan.

News Now – Sport News

Leave a Comment